If you saw my Instagram this week, you'll know I made a wicked egg salad open faced sandwich with avocado & egg smash. I know this isn't new to the Insta world, or the world at large, but it was new to me, which was pretty exciting!
I started incorporating a lot of new recipes and cooking methods when I was enhancing my overall diet a few years back, which was essential as part of my healing journey. I love trying new things, because it means I'm still expanding my repertoire in the kitchen. But I'm not done, not even close.
The way this lovely lunch came together was by needing to use what was leftover in my fridge so I didn't have to waste it, which I hate to do. I've also been in sort of a slump with low motivation to cook, especially anything new, so I got excited when it occurred to me that I could quickly whip up a dynamite lunch without really having to think about it!
Try being creative in your own kitchen. Instead of wasting food, look to use it in new ways that may not be traditional or within your cooking know-how, but who cares. What usually comes of it is a ridiculously good meal! You'll amaze yourself.
RECIPE: Avocado Egg Salad
TIME: 10 MINUTES (+ TIME TO HARD BOIL EGGS)
TASTE: SAVOURY & CREAMY
ACTIONS: BRAIN BOOSTING & SATIATING
1 avocado, ripened
2 hard-boiled eggs (see bonus recipe below!)
1/2T EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
1/2T dijon mustard
Spices (rough estimates, adjust to your liking):
1/8t turmeric powder
1 pinch of salt
1 dash of cayenne pepper
1. Remove shell from hard-boiled egg and place in a bowl, breaking it into pieces with a fork.
2. Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit and scoop from the skin into the bowl with the egg.
3. Smash them together to your desired consistency. I kept mine a little chunky for texture.
4. Add spices and mix with a spatula until incorporated.
5. Spread on toast & layer with other goodies, eat with crackers or with a spoon for a quick, filling snack. Enjoy!
If you've ever wanted to know how to make the perfect hard-boiled egg, see below. This method never fails me and every time I crack one of these bad boys open I can remove the shell in 2 whole pieces. No more crumbly shell for this girl...or you!
BONUS RECIPE: Hard-boiled Eggs (done perfectly)
SERVINGS: AS MANY AS YOU'D LIKE
TIME: 30 MINUTES (+ COOLING TIME)
1. Boil a medium sized pot of water.
2. Gently place eggs into water. I use a wide cooking spoon with holes so the water can slowly cradle the eggs.
3. Boil for 12 minutes at medium to high heat with lid on, but slightly open. Careful not to let the pot boil to violently.
4. Turn stove off and move the pot, covered, to a cool element to sit for 10 minutes.
5. Remove eggs from hot water and let cool on countertop for approximately 30 minutes.